Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oh how sweet it is...

For the last month I have struggled with my weight loss.  In September I only lost 6 pounds for a 6 month total of 86 pounds.  Now don't get me wrong 86 pounds is really great, but when I was used to losing anywhere from 10-20 pounds a month I knew that something was off.  So I set down and started thinking about what has changed in my life over the last month.  I was still eating the same amount of calories, but I was working out twice as much as I was before.  In my mind I thought that I would lose more, but that is not how it works.  If you are working out more you need to add calories in order to continue your weight lose or at least in my case that is how things worked out.  When your body goes into starvation mode you will stop losing.  I was not putting enough fuel in my fire and my body was holding onto as much as I put in and I slowed down on my weight loss. 

This really did not make much sense to me, but I thought well I could either eat more or workout less.  After about a minute I decided that I would go back to how I was working out before because I don't want to add to my calories.  This week when I did the recumbent bike I went for 45 minutes on the bike and I burned 400 calories instead of an hour and 20 min and burning 800 calories.  I also slowed my speed down a little so that I would be able to go further longer and not take as many breaks.  When I did the strength training I only did one round instead of 2, but I don't think it will hurt me to do that twice when I do my strength training.  Now you have to keep in mind that everybody is different but for me this seemed to work.  As of today, Wednesday October 12, 2011 I have lost another 7 pounds for a 6 month and one week total of 93 pounds!!!! I think I am onto something and I will continue my workouts and calories the way I did before and see how things go.

It's extremely important to not give up when the numbers are not what you want them to be.  I will be honest and tell you that there were times when I thought I was going to lose my mind but there was no way thing I was going to give up.  Eating healthy and exercising is a part of my life now and I hope that will never change.  There will be times when I hit a plateau (which to me is a dirty word lol) or I might even gain, but if I keep changing my exercise and eat the right foods and get good calories then I should be able to keep up my weight loss.  It really is just a game every week to see if the work that I put into myself will have a good outcome or not.  And I love to win!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment